Parenthood is not a joke and it comes with a lot of responsibilities. Sometimes, the early phase of parenthood can be quite challenging for both the mother, as well as the father. This is especially true in the case of all those people who are expecting their first child. In that case, they might need proper help and guidance regarding a wide variety of topics.
The majority of the would-be parents might want to know how to change a diaper easily without hurting the baby. A lot of people might think that diaper changing is a very easy task. But, it is not so, and you will understand the complexities of this task only after you start doing it.
Here, we will be explaining the entire process of diaper changing thoroughly. In addition to that, we will also be listing the supplies that you should get if you want to handle everything smoothly.
If you are expecting a baby soon, then it is highly recommended that you go through such details carefully to gather a clear idea regarding how to take care of the basic needs of an infant. This will help you to be confident when it comes to the safety of your baby.
See how to change a diaper correctly…
Here, we will be breaking down the entire process of diaper change into simple steps. This will help the parents to develop a clear concept regarding the diaper changing procedure.
- So, the first thing that you have to do is lay the baby down on their back. Followed by that, you should remove the used diaper carefully. The used diaper must be wrapped up and taped down to seal it properly.
- If you intend to throw this used diaper into the garbage can, then you must put it in a plastic bag first. This will help in reducing the spread of any undesirable odors.
- After removing the used diaper, you should clean the baby’s diaper area gently. Make sure you are cleaning between the folds of skin to avoid any sorts of infections.
- For the cleaning purpose, you can use gentle diaper wipes. If you don’t want to opt for the wipes, then you can always use a wet washcloth. While wiping, always wipe from the front towards the back.
- Sometimes, the babies might develop diaper rashes. During such instances, you should apply a good diaper rash cream or barrier ointment on the concerned area.
- Then you should gently raise the baby’s legs and lower section of the body by holding the ankles. After that, you should slide a clean diaper underneath. Make sure that you are placing the diaper in the correct manner.
- Followed by that, you have to pull the front part of the diaper up between the baby’s legs and then, place it on the baby’s belly.
- Finally, you have to lift the two wings of the diaper on both the sides, and then stick the tape present on each wing onto the front part of the diaper.
Diaper changing supplies
If you are wondering how to change a diaper, then you might also want to know in detail about the supplies that are required while changing the diaper.
It is highly recommended that you always keep plenty of diapers with you. This will help you during emergency situations, and you will not end up with an empty pouch. Along with that, always make sure that you are using diapers of the correct size for your baby. This will help in preventing irritations, as well as leakages.
Diaper ointment or barrier cream
Diaper rash is actually very common among the babies, and it is highly recommended that you always keep a good diaper rash cream near you. Thereby, you will be able to use the cream during emergency circumstances. Avoid using over the counter creams and ointments, and try to get one prescribed by the health care provider.
In order to clean your baby’s bottom properly, you have to use either the wipes, or a wet washcloth. The majority of the parents prefer using wipes, as it is an extremely convenient method. However, there are a few parents out there who use washcloths for this purpose.
Diaper changing table
This is completely optional, and if you don’t have one, then it is absolutely fine. These tables are used for the purpose of making the whole process comfortable, as well as convenient for both the baby, as well as the parent. Always get a table that has a side rail on all the sides.
Diaper changing pad
The diaper changing pad will be placed on top of the changing table. It is recommended that you always choose a curved one, as here, the middle section is deeper and the side portions are raised.
Points to be noted
Now that we know how to change a diaper, let’s take a look at some important points which should be kept in mind while changing your baby’s diaper.
- In the case of boys, you should cover the penis with a cloth while changing to prevent getting wet yourself.
- In addition to that, before closing the diaper, you should place the penis in a downward position to prevent leaks.
- In the case of girls, you should always wipe from front to back as it will help in preventing urinary tract infection.
- After changing the diaper, always turn the leg cuffs out to prevent leakages.
- Lastly, make sure that you are not fastening the diaper too tightly or too loosely, as this might cause irritations.
So, we have discussed how to change a diaper properly. By following the above mentioned steps, you will be able to change your baby’s diaper quite conveniently. If you are facing any difficulties when it comes to diaper changing, then you must share your concerns with others, and ask for their help if needed. As we all know, taking care of a newborn is indeed very challenging, and often it can put the parents in a depressed state. However, keep in mind that it is just a phase, and you will eventually get through it!